The Conservation Area was designated in 1973.
It includes The Green, St Giles Church, Skelton Hall and Skelton Manor,
which forms the historic core of the village.
The Village Trust takes a particular interest
in guarding its special character and supporting residents in caring
buildings, trees and open spaces.
The City of York Council, as the local planning authority, has a statutory duty to preserve and enhance the special character of a Conservation Area. Whilst Conservation Area status does include additional planning constraints and considerations for residents and planners alike, it is recognised that conservation is not
The Church of St Giles (formerly known as All Saints)
is a Grade 1 listed building, dating from c.1240, with restorations of 1814 - 18 by Henry Graham and 1863 by Ewan Christian.
It was probably built by the masons of the north transept of York. Though small it is a foremost example of early 13c work in this region. The materials used are magnesium limestone amd Westmoreland slate.
(Grade II* listing) has mid 16c origins, with major alterations from the early mid 18c and late 19c.
Vestigial timber framing was subsequently cased in brick and the roof is of plain tile. The interior is exceptionally well preserved and has been restored with very great care.
Skelton Hall, dating from 1824 with 20c alterations, is built in white brick with a slate roof.
Pyramid House, The Green (formerly the Old School House), mid 18c with its pyramidal roof an arresting feature.
Skelton Grange Farmhouse built 1731 as a Home Farm for the Grange.
Grade II listed buildings include:
A combination of interesting topography and street pattern, varied building forms and a well treed setting gives Skelton Conservation Area its attractive distinctly rural, restful character.
This is emphasised by its location just off the main A19 road, from which virtues of the village are unsuspected. The Conservation Area focal point is the Green; its undulating grassed mound and mature trees create almost a miniature landscape in its own right.
The Green provides a setting for St Giles Church with its attractive railings. Across from the Church the open, grassed area continues to the south-east, past The Wheelhouse. An attractive terrace of 19c cottages flank the west side of The Green with, in contrast, individual properties set in their own, walled grounds opposite. This variety epitomises Skelton, yet unified by the trees, boundary walls and the use of natural building materials to create a natural "flow" from one part of the village to another.
The main elements of the character and appearance of the area are:-
(1) The way that topography, mature trees, the street pattern and building forms create a varied, yet cohesive, village character.
(2) The qualities of individual buildings set in their own grounds, creating a "rural hideaway" atmosphere; and in contrast the groups of cottages that front onto the street elsewhere in the village.
(3) The way that boundary walls hedges, grass verges and roadside trees lead naturally from one part of the village to another.