In the 8th or 9th centuries the name Shelftun or Scelfton, meaning settlement on a shelf, was given to the dwellings set on a ridge of land to the east of the river (now called Ouse) just above the 50ft contour, and the highest place for miles around.
The original settlers must have begun to drain the marshy land around to cultivate it, and dug out the ditches which still surround the village - Hurns Gutter, White Sike, Pennells Drain and Burtree Dam.
Domesday Book records a manor with a hall in Skeltun, belonging partly to St Peter's (York Minster) and partly to Earl Alan, a French nobleman and a supporter of William the Conqueror.
Village laid out with a street plan similar to the old village centre today, and open fields for strip farming.
South Field, North field, Park Field, Well Field.
Brecks Field was a later addition.
Skelton Church built by the Treasurer of York Minster.
Skelton Manor built.
Parish registers began. Most of Skelton was in the parish of Overton until the 1870's.
Earliest known map of Skelton, at the time of the disforestation of The Forest of Galtres. This shows the parish boundaries which have persisted into the 21st century.
Civil War. Skelton had to pay a £126 tax, and a wagon and horses, to the Royalists.
Troops camped around Skelton the night before the Battle of Marston Moor, crossing the Ouse by "bridge of boats" at Overton.
Skelton Grange built (re-built in the 19th century), by the Place family. Demolished in the 1970s.
Threat from advancing army of Bonnie Prince Charlie.
Plans made by some villagers to escape by boat.
Preparations for boarding up of the church.
The Kings Highway was turnpiked, and a toll bar cottage built at Skelton.
Enclosure Act. The End of the open fields.
Land was divided between six landowners.
1806 Map of Skelton
Fairfield Manor built, owned at one time by racehorse breeders. It later became a hospital and is now a Hotel.
Skelton Hall built by Mary Thompson. Benefactor to school and church.
School opened in Pyramid House.
Moorlands House built 2 miles outside the village.
Owned by the Tew family, then became a hospital The wood is now owned by Yorkshire Wildlife Trust.
The house is in private ownership.
C of E School built, replacing Pyramid House. Now the Village Hall.
Churchyard closed for burials, replaced by a burial ground outside the village on Moorlands Road.
1914 - 1918
First World War 57 villagers served in the forces and 6 were killed.
Memorial Lychgate erected at the entrance to the cemetery.
Reference to British Legion Hut Removed
1939 - 1945
Second World War. 22 Men and 2 Women served and 2 were killed.
Evacuees and troops billeted in village.
Air raid shelters constructed under the village green.
1955 - 1959
School moved to Skelton Primary School, Brecksfield.
The old school was opened as Skelton Village Hall.
Very few new houses built until after 1945. Population grew from 274 in 1901 to about 1600 in the early years of the 21st century.
The Meadows and Brecksfield built in 1950s, The Dell and The Vale from the early 1960s and Grange Park in the late 1970s.
Recently small scale housing development has taken place west of the A19
Skelton has a number of organisations covering a wide range of interests:
Football and Recreation Club
Friends of Skelton Pond (ecology project and village amenity)
FOR CONTACT DETAILS FOR ANY OF THE ABOVE FACILITIES AND ORGANISATIONS GET IN TOUCH WITH A MEMBER OF THE VILLAGE TRUST COMMITTEE.
There are two golf courses within Skelton parish, the Forest of Galtres members club accessed from Moorlands Road and a pay and play course on the A19.
All images on this site are copyright to Skelton Village Trust
and may not be used for commercial purposes
without prior written permission - 2010